During a recent conversion with Jim Stone, a FiberTite® representative in Central and Southern Virginia, he discussed the importance of understanding a warranty and explaining to building owners that a warranty does not guarantee the longevity of a roofing product. If building owners do not follow the stipulations of the warranty, it can easily be canceled by the roofing manufacturer.
When you look at the average warranty in the roofing market, there are several hidden stipulations within the fine print. It should be noted, these warranties are written by attorneys that represent the roofing manufacturer, not the building owner.
Common Warranty Stipulations:
- The roof must be maintained yearly with documentation of proof. If a building owner cannot provide proof that the roof has been maintained regularly, the warranty can be canceled.
- All leaks have to be reported to the manufacturer within 30 days. If the leaks aren’t reported right away, the manufacturer can cancel the warranty.
- Only authorized contractors can make repairs. If a building owner allows non-authorized contractors, or maintenance the roof themselves, the warranty can be canceled.
- Many warranties require you to prevent excessive foot traffic. If there is excessive foot traffic on a rooftop, and evidence of that traffic, the warranty can be canceled.
- Allowing chemicals to be used to clean the AC coils, causing damage to the membrane. If the proper cleaning technique isn’t followed to maintain the integrity of your roof, the warranty can be canceled.
At FiberTite, we believe a roofing warranty is only as good as the people who stand behind it. Always check credentials and references before committing to a roofing system. Understanding what to look for in a roof warranty and determine what is offered and what the manufacturer stands behind is going to be key to the longevity of your roof. FiberTite does not believe in selling warranties, we believe in selling an outstanding product. The best warranty a building owner can have is the warranty they will never have to use.